At last, I have released a beta that everyone can try out. I need feedback though, especially from Windows 2000 and Windows 98/Me users.
Note: DO NOT POST THIS BETA TO FILE DOWNLOADING SITES (such as Softpedia, Majorgeeks, FileForum, etc). This is just for personal use only, not distribution. I take no responsibility for anything that can go awry during the use of Dial-a-fix (whether it be a stable, or beta release). Please exercise care when using the program. Visit the Dial-a-fix wiki page for warnings, disclaimers, and suggestions (not updated for the beta version yet, but the warnings/license/etc still stand). Visit the Dial-a-fix_tips wiki page for scenarios where Dial-a-fix can come in handy.
Please email me if you run into any bugs, have improvement suggestions, or need assistance fixing your computer using Dial-a-fix. You can find the email address in the program itself, in the Contact box. Do not send email to my main address (in the footer of this page) regarding Dial-a-fix.
* * * Download Dial-a-fix v0.58 public beta
* * * Download secedit.exe (for the "Repair permissions" tool — place it in the same folder as Dial-a-fix's .exe)
* Fixed version.dll access violation
* New button icons and a new logging pane:
– (Tools and Help buttons were changed to just icon buttons with no text to make room for the new Log pane button and still stay within 640×480)
– Log pane can save to a .txt or .log file or copy to clipboard
* Cancel is now &Cancel and is quite smarter and faster
* Fixed several bugs regarding the %TEMP%/%TMP% variable checks and made it smarter
* "Flush SoftwareDistribution" button now asks you if you wish to preserve the update history, and it can be cancelled
* DLL registration is now native; no longer uses regsvr32.exe, and with that, it now properly reports Win32 error codes (and can sometimes give suggestions)
– Please report all error codes received to DjLizard so that more suggestions can be implemented.
* Disabled "Install VC6 runtime" checkmark in 2000/XP because it's really for 98/Me only (it didn't do anything in 2k/XP, it just exited)
* Added ForceActiveDesktop policy, removed a policy typo
* DLL registrations added: rpcrt4.dll, activeds.dll, oleacc.dll, credui.dll, cryptui.dll, mssign32.dll, certcli.dll, scecli.dll, userenv.dll, msi.dll, shsvcs.dll, olepro32.dll, sbe.dll, scardssp.dll, dmdskmgr.dll, dmloader.dll, dmstyle.dll, dmscript.dll, mmcndmgr.dll, clbcatq.dll, clbcatex.dll, ntmsmgr.dll, ntmssvc.dll, ntmsevt.dll, webvw.dll, shmedia.dll, es.dll, winhttp.dll, els.dll, query.dll, quartz.dll
* Reinstall Defrag tool (which can register dfrgsnap.dll, dfrgui.dll)
* "Unregister before Register" option is unsafe, and will not be returning; selective unregistrations will be enabled on DLLs that have been tested and found to require it:
– Box #3's "Register WUAU DLLs", box #4's "Register DLLs", and Box #5's stobject.dll (in the Explorer checkmark) are the first selective unregistrations; they will be performed without user intervention just before regular registration is performed.
* OLE section returns
* Fixed ole32.dll CLSID registry entry creation
* Added splitter bar in the Tools dialog for resizing the two panes
* Repair WMI/WBEM tool no longer deletes the repository; now rebuilds via wbemupgd.dll and links to pertinent articles
* No longer performs registration of the following files when IE 7 is installed: esetup.dll, pngfilt.dll, appwiz.cpl, imgutil.dll, inseng.dll, mshtml.dll, msrating.dll, msieftp.dll, themeui.dll, webcheck.dll
* New status bar animation pane that takes up less code space, and less physical space on the dialog
* Clicking the bold '5' in the bottom right box inverts the checkmark states for that box (so if none are checked, it checkmarks them all)